82.4 F
Mérida
Tuesday, January 18, 2022
###

Ambitious ‘Water City’ would include Latin America’s largest aquarium

Latest headlines

Bus full of construction workers catches fire in Mérida’s north

A bus went up in flames just before 8 this morning in Mérida’s Francisco de Montejo neighborhood.

Mérida’s new surveillance center now has eyes on over 6,700 cameras

Yucatán's government has opened a new remote surveillance center to oversee the state's thousands of active security cameras. 

600 acres expropriated in Quintana Roo for new Mayan Train route

Mexico has seized 198 lots of land in Quintana Roo along phase 5 of the Mayan Train's path.

Omicron strain now dominant in Yucatán

The Omicron variant of COVID-19 now appears to be the most common form of the virus in Yucatán.
Yucatán Magazine
Sign up to get our top headlines delivered to your inbox twice a week.

The Water City concept, which has been kicking around for 11 years, is getting attention again. Photo: Courtesy


Progreso, Yucatán — The idea of “Water City,” complete with Latin America’s largest aquarium and a replica of Chichén Itzá’s famous temple, has been kicking round for years.

Renderings of the proposed manmade island have been dusted off for a new pitch before Progreso port officials.

In 2012, the luxury tourist attraction was estimated to cost 3.2 billion pesos, with 60 percent of its funding coming from the Inter-American Development Bank and the remaining 40 percent from shipping companies and investors. Now, its architect, Jorge Ongay Lara, tells Sipse that the plan could be budgeted at 2.2 billion pesos.

And this time, the project has the support of Cetur, the Tourism Business Council.

The project would place Yucatán in the eyes of the world, he said. The project includes dredging a new channel next to Progreso’s existing pier to accommodate large ocean liners.

The sand collected from dredging would be the basis of the Water City, home to a series of towers for luxury hotels, a marina, an aquarium and a replica of Chichén Itzá’s pyramid.

In an interview with Milenio Novedades, he stressed that the project would be very important not only for Yucatán but also for the tourist economy in Quintana Roo, Campeche and Tabasco.

“With what is taken out of the dredging, that is to say more than 3.6 million cubic meters of sand, an islet would be built that would have an area of ​​700 by 700 or 490,000 square meters, in which a marina, canals, an area available for hotels, shops, restaurants, aquariums, diving channels, jet skis, boats, water skiing and the largest aquarium in Latin America, with 120,000 cubic meters of water.”

- Advertisement -

Subscribe Now!

More articles

Mérida slated to build nearly 100 new highrise towers

Housing and business developments in Mérida have historically been fairly “close to the ground,” but that seems to be changing.

Yucatán’s COVID hospitalizations begin to creep up

Over 3,000 new coronavirus infections were reported this week in Yucatán. On Sunday alone, 652 new cases were detected, and that's likely...

‘Angels’ spreads its wings to the Yucatán Country Club gallery

The "Angels" exhibit has expanded into the exclusive Yucatán Country Club gallery, on view by appointment. Photo: Courtesy

Yucatán wakes up to a cold and windy ‘Mukul’

Mark Callum, a Mérida resident originally from England, helped this Chevy's owner move a huge branch behind the Paseo de Montejo...

Mérida Fest to go forward despite COVID-19 surge

The Ayuntamiento has confirmed that in-person events scheduled for Mérida Fest 2022 will continue as planned.

Building in Yucatán to get even more expensive in 2022

Over the past several years, construction costs in Yucatán have risen sharply and all signs point to even higher prices in 2022..

Yucatán’s top 8 street junk food favorites

Walking through virtually any city or town in Yucatán a wide range of food vendors can be seen peddling goodies out of push carts, mobile stands, food trucks, and just about every other configuration you can think of.

Mexico prepares to begin human trials of its Patria COVID-19 vaccine

Federal health authorities are calling on adult volunteers to take part in human trials for Mexico's Patria COVID-19 vaccine. 

Yucatán back to tougher restrictions as COVID continues to skyrocket

Yucatán state health department numbers show a dramatic change in coronavirus data. Yucatán recorded 459 new coronavirus...

The new Mayan Train director says the project is 7 months behind schedule

Javier May Rodríguez, the Mayan Train’s recently appointed director, says the rail project is seven months behind schedule.