84.2 F
Mérida
Sunday, December 4, 2022

Carbon monoxide leak in Airbnb kills 3 US tourists

Latest headlines

Yucatán Magazine
Yucatán Magazine
Yucatán Magazine has the inside scoop on living here. Sign up to get our top headlines delivered to your inbox every week.
From left, Virginia residents Courtez Hall, Kadence Florence, and Jordan Marshall died while visiting Mexico City. Photos: Facebook

Three American tourists in Mexico for Day of the Dead died of carbon monoxide poisoning in an Airbnb apartment.

Kandace Florence, Jordan Marshall and Courtez Hall were in the La Rosita neighborhood for the Day of the Dead holiday, according to WAVY in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where Florence and Marshall were from.

The victims’ bodies were found on Oct. 30, but news of the tragedy was reported Wednesday.

La Rosita is in the borough of Cuajimalpa and is close to the upscale Santa Fe business district.

Airbnb did not immediately respond to media queries, but told Bloomberg that the deaths were a “terrible tragedy” and that the company was ready to assist with inquiries from authorities.

Airbnbs in Mexico have been a hot topic for a number of reasons. Last month, Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum signed an agreement with Airbnb to boost the number of digital nomads coming to Mexico City.

Deadly gas leaks have occurred elsewhere in Mexico, including in Akumal when a family of four suffocated under similar circumstances.

In March, an explosion caused by a gas leak killed two people and injured18 in a Playa del Carmen restaurant.

- Advertisement -spot_img
spot_img

More articles