A short circuit caused a fire that destroyed a large palapa roof at Izamal’s most famous restaurant, Kinich, officials said.
Rescue workers this morning responded quickly and doused the flames, saving the rest of the restaurant from worse damage.
The downtown landmark, noted prominently in guidebooks and blogs, was named one of Mexico’s best restaurants in a culinary guide.
More than 40 firefighters and police came to contain the blaze. No injuries were reported other than smoke irritation, according to Reporteros Hoy.
A dense column of smoke was seen from several blocks around, attracting curious onlookers.