Mérida, Yucatán — A local special-occasion favorite, the Hacienda Xcanatún, which dates to 1789, won a prestigious award honoring historic hotels. The 2016 Historic Hotel Awards of Excellence were announced Thursday evening in Honolulu, Hawaii.
“Historic hotels allow travelers to discover, explore, and connect with the past,” Lawrence P. Horwitz, executive director of Historic Hotels of America and Historic Hotels Worldwide, told CNN.
“The 2016 Historic Hotels Awards of Excellence winners represent the finest historic hotels and hoteliers. We congratulate them and thank them for their continued dedication to preserving these iconic historic hotels and their legendary histories for future generations.”
Switzerland’s Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern was named best in Europe. Famous guests to have stayed here include Mark Twain and Winston Churchill.
The Latin Post recently wrote of 18-room Hacienda Xcanatún: “Located right in the biggest city of the Yucatan — Mérida — this place has a terracotta-and-cream facade, marble mosaics, filigree, and antique furniture. If you’re raring to be out and about, there’s the city of Merida for you to explore right at your doorstep.”
The former henequen plantation opened in January 2000 after five years of architectural recovery.
Best of Historic Hotels of the United States
- Best Small Historic Inn/Hotel (under 75 guestrooms): Inn at the Presidio (1903), San Francisco, California
- Best Historic Hotel (76-200 guestrooms): La Fonda on the Plaza (1922), Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Best Historic Hotel (201-400 guestrooms): Mission Inn Hotel & Spa (1876) Riverside, California
- Best Historic Hotel (over 400 guestrooms): Palace Hotel (1875), San Francisco, California
- Best City Center Historic Hotel: The Mayflower Hotel (1925) Washington, DC
- Best Historic Resort: The Omni Homestead Resort (1766), Hot Springs, Virginia
- Historic Hotels of America Sustainability Champion: The Boar’s Head (1834) Charlottesville, Virginia
- Historic Hotels of America New Member of the Year: White Stallion Ranch (1900), Tucson, Arizona
Best of Historic Hotels Worldwide
- Best Historic Restaurant in Conjunction with a Historic Hotel: Circa 1886 at Wentworth Mansion(1886) Charleston, South Carolina
- Best Historic Hotels Worldwide Hotel (Europe): Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern (1845), Lucerne, Switzerland
- Best Historic Hotels Worldwide Hotel (Asia/Pacific): Hotel New Grand (1927) Yokohama, Japan
- Best Historic Hotels Worldwide (Americas): Hacienda Xcanatún (1789) Mérida, Mexico