Obstruction of justice probed after boy drowns at Xcaret Park

A 13-year-old boy died last week after drowning at Xenses Park near Playa del Carmen. Photo: Courtesy
A 13-year-old boy died last week after drowning at Xenses Park near Playa del Carmen. Photo: Courtesy

Quintana Roo’s state prosecutor has opened an investigation into whether state authorities intervened on behalf of Grupo Xcaret to cover up details surrounding the death of a boy at one of their parks.

On March 28, a 13-year-old drowned after his leg became entangled in an open filtration system at Xenses Park near Playa del Carmen. 

According to Grupo Xcaret, the accident happened as the result of human error pertaining to maintenance and security protocols. 

The victim’s father stated that he was coerced to sign a document absolving Grupo Xcaret from responsibility before being allowed to recover the boy’s body. 

“Seeing the emotional health of my wife and not wanting to see her suffer more, I signed the document, they put a lot of pressure on me,” said the father.

Earlier: Fire rages through popular Xcaret restaurant after a lightning strike

“Given the circumstances of the case, the validity of any document signed by the victim’s father to absolve Grupo Xcaret from civil and criminal responsibility is dubious at best,” said constitutional lawyer Raúl López Ojeda.

On Thursday a video was submitted to Twitter showed a group of swimmers at Xenses who say that they are being carried away by an undertow. 

The hashtag #JusticiaParaLeo continues to trend on Twitter as do posts in support of his family. 

Xenses Park remains operational despite the accident.

Carlos Rosado van der Gracht

Born in Mérida, Carlos Rosado van der Gracht is a Mexican/Canadian blogger, photographer and adventure expedition leader. He holds degrees in multimedia, philosophy and translation from universities in Mexico, Canada and Norway.