Thick fog strands hundreds of frustrated travelers in Mérida’s airport

Latest headlines

Carlos Rosado van der Gracht
Carlos Rosado van der Gracht
Born in Mérida, Carlos Rosado van der Gracht is a Mexican/Canadian blogger, photographer and adventure expedition leader. He holds degrees in multimedia, philosophy and translation from universities in Mexico, Canada and Norway. Sign up for the Yucatán Roundup, a free newsletter, which delivers the week's top headlines every Monday.
Hundreds of frustrated passengers in Mexico City and other cities were also forced to wait for several hours until their flights were allowed to take off. Photo: Courtesy

Flight delays left hundreds of travelers stranded in Mérida’s airport Tuesday night. 

The late departures were apparently caused by a thick fog concentrated around Mexico City’s international airport. 

A tweet from Mexico City’s official account notifying passengers of the situation. 

Hundreds of passengers were forced to wait for several hours either in the airport terminal or on aircraft halted on the tarmac. 

One group of frustrated passengers began to badger airline employees. The scuffle got so bad that members of the national guard at the airport were asked to intervene.

Earlier: Cancún and its airport are now busier than before the pandemic

There have been no reports of detentions or arrests of unruly passengers. 

The fog in Mexico City also created delays in several of Mexico’s busiest airports including those in Monterrey, Guadalajara and Cancún. 

Traffic continues to increase at Mérida’s Manuel Crescencio Rejón international airport, which is now operating as many as 20 daily flights to domestic and international destinations. 

“We expect to see airlines continue to increase their number of flights,” said airport administrator Óscar Carillo Maldonado. International flights connecting Mérida with Houston and Miami have been operating at near maximum capacity over the past few months.

The recovery comes after a year that saw flights in and out of Mérida’s airport all but dried up due to COVID-19 pandemic. But despite a dramatic reduction in ticket sales and flights, the airport never suspended its operations.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles