The Fernando García Ponce-Museo de Arte Contemporáneo Ateneo de Yucatán is the Peninsula’s only museum dedicated to the promotion and diffusion of modern and contemporary art. It is better known by its acronym, the MACAY.
The museum, next to the Cathedral and across the Plaza Grande, annually receives an average of 72,000 visitors as well as 22,000 thousand children, who partake in its special programs, courses, workshops and guided tours.
Every three months, its 15 temporary exhibition rooms are renewed making around 45 annual art exhibitions.
Its enormous building was completed in 1579, by order of Fray Diego de Landa, Bishop of the province of Yucatán, and was a palace housing the archdiocese. It was separated from the Cathedral in 1916 and began its life as a museum in 1993.