Peto, Yucatan — Six city employees got sick after exploring grottos in San Dionisio.
The municipal officials were investigating the feasibility of including them in an ecotourism project.
The group fell ill after several days of exploring, and were transported 140 kilometers / 84 miles north to Clinica Merida and O’Horan Hosptal for treatment.
Doctors concluded that they each likely contracted a bacterial lung infection from contact with bat excrement and urine.
Of the six workers, five are with the Peto tourism department and one is with the social communications department.
The state’s Civil Protection and Health Ministry staff have cordoned off the area to prevent more people from entering.
Source: Progreso Hoy