Santa Ana market was closed after a fruit juice vendor’s stall caught fire, local media reported.
Merida’s municipal police said a short circuit caused the fire late Thursday, after the market had closed. Neighboring stalls also appeared damaged, and the entire market was shut down pending an investigation.
Smoke was discovered by officers making a routine surveillance sweep of the neighborhood. Four firefighter units were summoned to extinguish the flames.
Municipal and state emergency service units also responded, preventing more serious damage to the entire market.
No injuries were reported.