71.6 F
Mérida
Monday, January 24, 2022
###

Residents take action to clear La Plancha of garbage

Latest headlines

A stunning 5,425 new COVID cases in a week

Residents make use of a hand-washing station installed in the Centro. Photo: Artur Widak / NurPhoto via Getty Images

Booster shots arrive for Mérida residents between 40-59

Booster shots for Mérida residents in their 40s and 50s arrived Friday. Photo: Courtesy A military plane with...

Mexico celebrates International Mariachi Day

Mariachis in Mexico and around the world celebrate International Mariachi Day observed every Jan 21. 

Marines to take over security at Mérida and Cancún airports

Mexico's Marines will be taking control of seven airports across the country, with  Mérida and Cancún among them. 
Carlos Rosado van der Gracht
Born in Mérida, Carlos Rosado van der Gracht is a Mexican/Canadian blogger, photographer and adventure expedition leader. He holds degrees in multimedia, philosophy and translation from universities in Mexico, Canada and Norway. Sign up for the Yucatán Roundup, a free newsletter, which delivers the week's top headlines every Monday.
Residents of neighborhoods surrounding La Plancha have been advocating for years that the area should be converted into a park. Photo: Courtesy

A group up of volunteers living near Mérida’s La Plancha Park have taken it upon themselves to pick up mounds of garbage.

Residents say that they are beautifying the area in hopes that the government will stick to its promise and expand the park into some have dubbed “Meridá’s Central Park.”

“We want to keep this area clean and beautiful; it’s really in ours and everyone’s interest to do so,” said area resident Carlos Ortega García. 

Residents in favor of enlarging and improving the park have started a Facebook group to help them get the word out and attract volunteers to their cause. 

The La Plancha area is already home to the ESAY, Yucatán’s state art college, housed in Mérida’s old train station. 

Last month, federal, state, and local authorities announced that the new La Plancha park would be built and work in concert with Mérida’s new Mayan Train station. 

Earlier: United Nations objects to Mayan Train station at La Plancha

The proposed park would cover an area of roughly 16 hectares, or 70% of the land which makes up the area. The other 30% would be utilized for the construction of the train station. 

But because the project is tightly tied to the controversial Mayan Train, many Mérida residents are skeptical the park will ever be finished. 

“It is sad, but I can see it now. The due date will come and go, the current government will be out of office and whoever follows will just abandon the whole thing,” Said Emanuel Canúl, a resident living two blocks from La Plancha. 

Last week, government authorities acknowledged that the Mayan Train rail project was behind schedule, with only 10% of its infrastructure being complete. The deadline for the entire Mayan Train project has been set for December 2023.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe Now!

More articles

New Frontier Airlines route to connect Cancún with Houston

Citing an increase in demand, Frontier Airlines has announced a new flight between Houston and Cancún.

Yucatán’s muralism boom —  an explosion of color, tradition and meaning

Yucatán’s history of muralism famously dates all the way back to the elaborate frescoes of the ancient Maya.

Students at Mérida’s private Catholic Universities caught trading thousands of explicit photos of their classmates

Numerous students at Mérida’s Anáuac Mayab University are reportedly active in a “secret” chat group to trade intimate photos of classmates, as well as engage in cyberbullying. 

New benches at ancient archaeological site anger Izamal residents

Modern slab benches detract from an ancient ruin at Izamal, neighbors say. Photo: Courtesy Modern-looking benches installed at...

Being a good neighbor to Yucatán’s roof cats and street dogs

Illustration: Juan Pablo Quintal García Cats replaced people as my friends soon after quarantine 2020 began. 

What my rescue dogs taught me

I thought I knew a lot about dogs until I took in two rescues. I was wrong....

Bus full of construction workers catches fire in Mérida’s north

A bus went up in flames just before 8 this morning in Mérida’s Francisco de Montejo neighborhood.

Mérida’s new surveillance center now has eyes on over 6,700 cameras

Yucatán's government has opened a new remote surveillance center to oversee the state's thousands of active security cameras. 

600 acres expropriated in Quintana Roo for new Mayan Train route

Mexico has seized 198 lots of land in Quintana Roo along phase 5 of the Mayan Train's path.

Omicron strain now dominant in Yucatán

The Omicron variant of COVID-19 now appears to be the most common form of the virus in Yucatán.