66 F
Mérida
Thursday, January 20, 2022
###

Storm system headed toward Yucatán could become tropical cyclone

Latest headlines

New benches at ancient archaeological site anger Izamal residents

Modern slab benches detract from an ancient ruin at Izamal, neighbors say. Photo: Courtesy Modern-looking benches installed at...

Being a good neighbor to Yucatán’s roof cats and street dogs

Illustration: Juan Pablo Quintal García Cats replaced people as my friends soon after quarantine 2020 began. 

What my rescue dogs taught me

I thought I knew a lot about dogs until I took in two rescues. I was wrong....

Bus full of construction workers catches fire in Mérida’s north

A bus went up in flames just before 8 this morning in Mérida’s Francisco de Montejo neighborhood.
Yucatán Magazine
Sign up to get our top headlines delivered to your inbox twice a week.

A storm approaches Yucatán. Graphic: WBBH-TV


The odds continue to increase that a spinning weather system off the coast of Honduras will become a tropical cyclone — a depression, storm or hurricane — within the next five days, weather forecasters say.

The National Hurricane Center has designated this weather system Invest 91, and it has a 70 percent chance to become a depression and a 30 percent chance to become a tropical storm within five days, says a meteorologist at NBC 2 in Fort Meyers, Fla.

Invest 91 is part of a larger system called a Central American Gyre, which is bringing heavy rain and flooding to that region of the tropics.

The latest forecast spaghetti models show the system, which will likely be named Michael, will move north toward the Gulf Coast and make landfall between Louisiana and the Florida panhandle.

The northeast quadrants of Central American Gyres can and do often spawn tropical cyclones as their parent gyre moves northwest across the Caribbean and Yucatán Peninsula.

The only thing stopping Invest 91 from gaining strength is a large area of wind shear over Cuba and the Yucatán to the north. This wind shear should keep Invest 91 from organizing for much of the weekend.

Wind shears will relax, however, by Monday, which will open the door for development.

Based on forecast models, the area to watch for formation will be the strip of ocean between the Yucatán and Cuba on Sunday and Monday.

“As with any tropical system, little things make a big difference, little things that computers cannot tell you several days out and before a storm even forms,” said Matt Gray at the television station.

Why keep an eye on this story? Look at the last tropical system to form out of a Central American Gyre. On this date in 2017, Hurricane Nate was causing massive flooding across Central America as it emerged from its parent gyre. The storm passed over the same region that Invest 91 is likely to travel and eventually became the fourth hurricane to hit the U.S. Gulf Coast that season.

A year ago, Nate caused the death of 22 people in Central America, but largely spared the Yucatán Peninsula.

Source: WBBH-TV

- Advertisement -

Subscribe Now!

More articles

600 acres expropriated in Quintana Roo for new Mayan Train route

Mexico has seized 198 lots of land in Quintana Roo along phase 5 of the Mayan Train's path.

Omicron strain now dominant in Yucatán

The Omicron variant of COVID-19 now appears to be the most common form of the virus in Yucatán.

Exploring Tazumal and Casa Blanca in Western El Salvador

Though part of the Mayan world, archaeological sites in El Salvador have largely remained unvisited by all but the most avid adventurers. But this tiny country boasts several interesting sites full of unique features and blends of cultural traditions. 

Mérida slated to build nearly 100 new highrise towers

Housing and business developments in Mérida have historically been fairly “close to the ground,” but that seems to be changing.

Yucatán’s COVID hospitalizations begin to creep up

Over 3,000 new coronavirus infections were reported this week in Yucatán. On Sunday alone, 652 new cases were detected, and that's likely...

‘Angels’ spreads its wings to the Yucatán Country Club gallery

The "Angels" exhibit has expanded into the exclusive Yucatán Country Club gallery, on view by appointment. Photo: Courtesy

Yucatán wakes up to a cold and windy ‘Mukul’

Mark Callum, a Mérida resident originally from England, helped this Chevy's owner move a huge branch behind the Paseo de Montejo...

Mérida Fest to go forward despite COVID-19 surge

The Ayuntamiento has confirmed that in-person events scheduled for Mérida Fest 2022 will continue as planned.

Building in Yucatán to get even more expensive in 2022

Over the past several years, construction costs in Yucatán have risen sharply and all signs point to even higher prices in 2022..

Yucatán’s top 8 street junk food favorites

Walking through virtually any city or town in Yucatán a wide range of food vendors can be seen peddling goodies out of push carts, mobile stands, food trucks, and just about every other configuration you can think of.