78.8 F
Mérida
Saturday, October 16, 2021
###

30% of La Plancha to be sold to the private sector

Latest headlines

Cozumel’s cruise industry bounces back in a big way

Quintana Roo has come to depend on a steady stream of cruise-goers, to maintain jobs at businesses including restaurants, excursion operators,...

Massimo Bottura’s community dinner is fighting hunger in Refettorio Mérida

Refettorio is a cultural project designed to offer dining experiences through the transformation of surplus ingredients into nutritious and beautiful dishes.

In Europe, Mexican Indigenous organizations denounce the Mayan Train

Indigenous groups from across Mexico, including Yucatán and Quintana Roo, sailed to Europe in what they describe as an invasion of conscience.

A private paradise at your Yucatán country estate

A private country estate is all yours in Yucatán. Contact Eric Partney at Mexico International. Ideal for those...
Veronica Garibayhttp://yucatanmagazine.com
Verónica Garibay Saldaña is a Mexican columnist, communications major, and poetry enthusiast. Sign up for the Yucatán Roundup, a free newsletter, which delivers the week's top headlines every Monday.

Yucatán Gov. Mauricio Vila Dosal announced that the government intends to sell 30% of the land at La Plancha to the private sector. That leaves the remaining 70% of its 37 hectares for a long-imagined park. 

“We intend to sell 30% of the land for funding, so that a real estate, commercial, office, and apartment development can be carried out on that site,” said Vila Dosal. “With that, we’ll create a large public park in the remaining 70% of the land.”

The ESAY, the Superior art school in Yucatán, is located on the grounds of La Plancha. Photo: Courtesy

La Plancha is the largest undeveloped plot of land in the Centro. Historically, La Plancha was a railroad yard. 

For a while, there were talks about La Plancha becoming a possible station for the Tren Maya mega project. 

Just recently, the Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo (Fonatur) announced that the Mérida headquarters will not be in the capital of the state. Instead, they will be located in the area of the former Hacienda Teya, about 8 km from the city.

“Such determination was made considering the project’s construction time and the efficiency of the process. It was necessary to modify the route since construction and mobility problems within the city must be avoided,” said Fonatur.

The Tren Maya station would be have been an underground railroad. Photo: Courtesy

Vila Dosal said that the train would take a detour before reaching Mérida, so that the nearest stop would be located outside the capital, along the railroad tracks that connect with Umán and Teya.

The governor has supported the mega project, which he says although many criticize, will be positive for the state.

“Transportation that quickly connects Quintana Roo and Yucatán is very positive,” said Vila, “since it will attract the 14 million visitors that come to this area.”

Parque La Plancha is surrounded by important institutions, such as the ESAY (Superior Arts School for Yucatán), the railroad museum, and the light museum, from the UNAM.

The grounds of La Plancha are currently abandoned, although the old railroad and train station are often used for art exhibits and cultural events. Photo: Courtesy

Several proposals for a public park project have been made by collectives such as Colectivo Gran Parque la Plancha, which intends to create a wooded park, with botanical gardens and community orchards; space for sports and recreation, a cycle path, and the renovation of the warehouses and train platform for cultural and commercial uses.

In Yucatán Magazine: Residents take action to clear La Plancha of garbage

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More articles

Yucatán’s bars and cantinas forge a new lobbying association

The group, which is now known as Asociación de Cantineros, is already made up of over 120 members but is yet to elect its first president. 

Progreso to host the Americas’ largest shipyard

Yucatán's Gov. Mauricio Vila Dosal in Trieste Italy with the executive board of the Italian company Fincantieri. Photo: Courtesy

The Dresden Codex, the great Maya book of the stars

The Dresden Codex is a Mayan book believed to be the oldest surviving book written in the Americas, dating to the 11th or 12th century.

How photographer Mike Diaz captures Yucatán’s unique environment

As Mike grew up, he dove back into nature, researching the environment, wildlife, and space. He understood the process he had to follow in order to achieve the photos he dreamed of.

Live music is back at Yucatán’s restaurants and bars

e measure was put in place over a year and a half ago along with a series of other restrictions to help against the spread of COVID-19.

Monument to the Montejo ‘covered in blood’ once again

A group of protesters staged a demonstration in front of the monument to the Montejo, vandalizing it and chanting anti-colonialistic slogans.

Camino del Mayab connects visitors with Yucatán’s remote communities

Photo: Camino del Mayab The Camino del Mayab, a network of trails that begins in Dzoyaxché, spreads out...

Parque De La Alemán — The bustling heart of one of Mérida’s original neighborhoods

The park, which measures about a full city block, features a roller skating rink, a children's playground, a large esplanade with a musical fountain, green areas, and a stage where artistic and cultural events are frequently held.

Yucatán cancels Xmatkuil fair and Hanal Pixán altars at Plaza Grande

The news comes as a disappointment for many who thought that a return to yellow on Mexico’s epidemiological traffic light system would mean more of a return to normal for public events. 

New sterilization campaign in Progreso cracks down on stray animals

The number of stray dogs and cats on the streets and beaches of Progreso has become a public health hazard, admits Mayor Julián Zacarías Curi.