Back to orange: Another setback for Cancun-Riviera Maya as coronavirus spreads

Latest headlines

Yucatán Magazine
Yucatán Magazine
Yucatán Magazine has the inside scoop on living here. Sign up to get our top headlines delivered to your inbox every week.
Quintana Roo Gov. Carlos Joaquín González. Photo: Courtesy

Following news that U.S. travelers are beginning to think twice about Mexico, the state government has responded to startling coronavirus data and added back restrictions on hotel and restaurant occupancy.

Quintana Roo Gov. Carlos Joaquín González said the entire Cancun-Riviera Maya region — the state’s north — will regress to the orange light, one step below the top-level red-alert lockdown.

The region was previously in the far-less restrictive yellow alert, which allowed businesses to operate at 60% capacity. The Jan. 25-31 rollback brings that down to 30%.

As tourists and social-media influencers flock to Mexico’s Caribbean coast for winter travel, infections have rebounded in the last two weeks.

“If we do not take sanitary measures seriously, we can lose, in a very short time, what we have managed to gain in recent months,” said Joaquín González.

- Advertisement -spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

More articles